Thursday, March 22, 2012

Live Now

How could we know,
so young as we were,
that it would pass like this?
And it does pass,
faster than we know.
Each moment passes,
so enjoy each moment.
Enjoy the look of dawn outside the airport windows,
enjoy the murmur of small clusters of people ordering food
or consulting with airline agents,
conversing with travel partners.
The rhythmic regular click click click
of suitcase wheels across a tiled floor
punctuates the sussuration of conversation.
Admire the contrast of crisp blue light against white,
the aroma of the next fresh pot of coffee
at the vendor's booth.
Enjoy the image in your mind
of your lover welcoming you at your return,
the smooth feeling of silk on your arms and legs.
Know that it is good.
All will be well.
All manner of things shall be well.

1 comment:

Jerry Masters said...

Carol,
"Sussuration" made me guess, something I ask my students to do about unfamiliar words they encounter. When they don't, but merely provide dry-as-dust dictionary definitions, I accuse them of being lazy, not wanting to do the hard work of reading around the word, guessing at meaning and author intention, etc. All fine sounding teacher-ish advice.

So when I caught myself opening my AHD, I was shamed back to your line, and a much closer reading this time, imagining me---well, my hearing-aided ears anyway---in that space, and thinking more about what conversation actually sounds like against the clicking punctuation of hard plastic wheels on tile floors. And, lo and behold, I think I got it---incessant, but---except for that very constancy, a background humming or murmur, without any (other) distinction. I couldn't help checking AHD...OK, got it.

Then I asked myself another question I ask students to ponder---why did the author choose that word, rather than another. I thought initially that I would have preferred the more common murmur. But I knew better than to even suspect flaunting of intellect, even given the limits of our friendship since 2009. So what could possibly explain not using the perfectly suitable "murmur"?

Of course I've no idea. But, I can report that because you chose to use a word that made me think more deeply--kicking and screaming, like my students--to imagine the scene you painted, I'll have to turn my hearing aids off during my next wait at the airport. All I be able to hear is those damn clicking wheels--brilliant. Bravo.

Regards,
Jerry