Thursday, December 02, 2010

What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?
Television is a great time waster, and I had given it up completely, but we watch lots of movies - during vacations, at least one a day. That's two hours. I don't bother reading the newspaper, but I do subscribe to blogs and news sources that feed education scene news, reaction, and reflection. Those take up way too much time, but they contribute to my activism. How can I give them up? Could I write about educational activism without the constant feed of new atrocities? Oh, probably. There are plenty of atrocities already in my experience to feed my prose. I could unsubscribe, but that makes me nervous. Maybe just discipline myself to disregard and "mark as read" most of the stuff that comes into my Google reader box. Unsubscribe from the guy who tweets and also announces his new blog posts that I get in reader anyway.
The biggest help to my writing is to write first every morning. Once I hit 200 days at 750words.com (in about two weeks), I'm not going to start with that, but rather with the handwritten pages. And my trusty cup of coffee. The searchability of handwritten pages is different...isn't it? I can, and do, search my handwritten pages. That's what I did to generate my dissertation ideas, all three pages of them LOL.
Maybe 750words.com is keeping me from writing, because I don't like to type in stuff about serious ideas there, but rather just about dreams and prayers for the day. Hmmm...I'll have to think about this some more.

No comments: