Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Prompt: One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you're choosing that word. Now, imagine it's one year from today. What would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
This year has been exciting and exhausting, with a bit of settling in for John and me as we entered our second year together. I was in the thick of my studies, but not nearly as pressured as next semester will be. This summer was relaxing, once it started, as I read ahead for classes and wrote quite a bit. John was still working, so the pattern had not yet changed. Normal? No, I could not use that word. Revealing? That was last fall, especially, even though it continues with this fall's readings for learning and curriculum. Momentum is building for me, with more events falling in place, more people coming into my intellectual life, people who inspire and nudge and...I don't know what. Maybe I'll call this year, Momentum. I am building with the blocks of ideas and inspirations and readings, and people I've met and thought about. My list of dissertation ideas sometimes grows, sometimes narrows, after each article I read. The energy behind the ideas fuels my papers, my participation in class, my planning for my own teaching.
Change, explosive change, is just around the corner, and could come as soon as next year. Maybe the word for next year is Explosion, or should it be Seepage? No, that's silly. What I'm working on, in my little mind, is not something slow and hidden, but something that will burst out, although not necessarily next year. If not Explosion, then maybe Release? Ideas that have been percolating will be put into action, or developed to the point of action, and I will start moving. Maybe Movement. I'll say movement, since that could be explosion or release, something fast or something steady. It's certain, though, that energy has been gathering and next year will bring about a start to a journey from here to there, definitely away from here, definitely to another place of investigation, writing, publishing, declaring, and I will move on from the place I've been for these last three semesters.

No comments: