Monday, December 20, 2010

Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)

This is difficult to say. What came into my mind immediately had popped in my head as recently as Saturday, when John drove me over the hill to the Christmas tree farm. It was last year, at that same farm, that I ran into my friend Pat and her family. For years I'd lost touch with Pat, after some years (when the boys were small) when I went over there almost every week. We had been in the same Lamaze class before our first babies were born. Six weeks after Tyson was born, late in May, we had ventured out to the Oakdale Mall, where I ran into Pat outside of Sears. She had heard of a Mothers and Moppets group in Windsor that we could get involved in. She wanted me to come over. When Tyson was a tiny baby, under a year, we visited back and forth quite often, with our new babies. We took pictures of them, fed them spaghetti, made our husbands meet, talked about our worries. Then our children went to different schools, and our marriages were in different spots. I didn't see her for years. Last year we reunited at the Christmas tree farm and I vowed I'd call (their phone number is unlisted, but now I had it again). A year has past and I have not talked to Pat. It occurs to me now that my phone number is in the book; that Pat has never called me. Things happen for a reason. That doesn't mean I won't try to reach her this year. I have never let such concerns stop me. There was also a reason that we saw each again, and I will probably honor that.

No comments: