Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Appreciate. What's the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?

I am grateful for coffee in the morning,
for tea in the afternoon, for wine at night.
I am grateful for the first rays of sunlight
slipping through the tops of the trees
just beyond the Secret Garden
to light up the tall spruce on the western ridge.
I have come to appreciate
the voice that greets me when I return,
the arms that will hold me whenever it's needed,
the solid presence against the dark paranoia of the midnight dream.
I have come to appreciate
the gentle strumming of guitar chords
that make me take up my fiddle and add a melody.
I am grateful for every meal,
and every meal that includes
sitting across the table from my son.
I am grateful for the faces of friends
who turn to greet me in our crowded office
as we all rise up out of the sea of words
we are almost drowning in.
I am grateful for legs that can walk,
arms that can draw near a toddler
who will undoubtedly chuckle,
ears that can hear the hubbub
when the house is full of love and dirty dishes.
I must express my gratitude for life and breath
and having my being and becoming
on this tumultuous and beautiful earth
where the treasures afforded me each day
are always innumerable
and can never be telescoped into just one.

No comments: